6 Aug 2016

THE MARRIAGE BUREAU FOR RICH PEOPLE {#1)

THE MARRIAGE BUREAU FOR RICH PEOPLE by FARAHAD ZAMA.

BACK COVER BLURB: What does somebody with a wealth of common sense do if retirement palls?

Why, open a marriage bureau, of course. And soon Mr Ali, from beautiful Vizag in South India, sees his new business flourish as the indomitable Mrs Ali and able assistant Aruna look on with careful eyes.

But although many clients go away happy, problems lurk behind the scenes as Aruna nurses a heart-rending secret; while Mr Ali cannot see that he rarely follows the sage advice he so freely dishes out to others. And when love comes calling for Aruna, an impossible dilemma looms...

FIRST SENTENCE {Just some of the requirements of a perfect Brahmin Wedding}: The mehndi henna patterning for 'making the bride.

MEMORABLE MOMENT {Page 182/3}: The mare suddenly turned back and tugged at I's veil. Before I could react, half a string of flowers were in the horse's mouth and the other half trailed on the ground. The groom pulled sharply on the reins and tried to pull the flowers out of the mare's mouth but the animal just put its head down and snorted loudly. I hastily stepped back and stumbled against a stone on the road. He clutched the horse's mane and the animal moved skittishly forwards and back, stepping on one of I's fancy shoes. (I have chosen to use the initial for fear of giving away who the groom is. TT)

SOURCE: Ex-library stock.

MY THOUGHTS: Yes, the romance element was totally predictable - as I had expected it would be. And yes, I'm sure that had I thought about it overly much I'd have found myself questioning whether or not, read at any other time, the simplicity of this story would have appealed to me quite as much as it did. And yes, I'm also pretty certain that should I have dwelt on it I'd have found myself questioning just how much this story would actually resonate with the so-called 'new generation' of Indians. BUT do you know what ...

A great insight into customs very different to my own in a nice, gently humorous story, peopled by genteel characters steeped in the clashes of tradition, family and property to say nothing of caste, the Marriage Bureau For Rich People was just what I needed at this moment in time.


6 comments:

Kelly said...

Even though I'm not into "romantic", it does sound charming - and sometimes something like this is exactly what we need.

I'm currently immersed in another lengthy tome.

Literary Feline said...

This sounds like a nice read, something not too serious and just perfect when wanting a quick escapist type read.

Shooting Stars Mag said...

Sometimes it's good to just read and not overthink too much! Thanks for sharing.

Brian Joseph said...

It sounds like this was very enjoyable.

It is nice to get read about customs and culture that we are not familiar with even if the package that surrounds the story is a little on the light side.

Natasha said...

The memorable part you picked has already gotten me hooked and I definitely need to read the rest to find out what happens and who the groom is! I also love a book if it's set in another country or time period, world etc. as I love the pure escapism away from my own world. This sounds great, and I loved your review! - Tasha

Melissa (Books and Things) said...

I love a book with insight and a perspective that you don't often see. For that reason I want to read it. Brilly review!