24 Jun 2015

THE PERFECT DRUG.


THE PERFECT DRUG by HOLLIE DEFRANCISCO.

BACK COVER BLURB: Adelice is a demon that has lost her sense of purpose in life. Doomed to eternity with no ability to love, she finds her hopeful chance of escape. 

- An abridged synopsis, contains slight spoiler. For full book blurb please click on book title.

FIRST SENTENCE {Prologue}: The air was thick beneath the starless sky.

MEMORABLE MOMENT {Page 83}: Her perfect skin looked like a smooth opal ring with iron workings for decorations and her wings once proud  and strong were now cracking like aged stone.


SOURCE: A GoodReads win. Thank you to Hollie for not only the book but also the accompanying art work and book mark.

MY THOUGHTS: Such a magical cover, the back even more so than the front.

Thinking this sounded like a wonderful take on a demon story, I really wanted to like it. And on the whole I did but ....

A touching tale of self discovery. Engaging characters. Magical descriptions - 'Her red eyes were like crystal shards, the light of her pain danced on the surface' - poetic and yet not sickeningly flowery. Essentially a modern fairytale that held my imagination from beginning to end. 

It maybe says more about me than the author that the speech of the characters simply didn't do it for me, seeming somehow at odds with the rest of the book. The usage of words such as 'dumb ass' and 'hun' annoying, the latter positively grating on me. Sentences such as ' I'm gonnah get exactly what I've been wantin', I jus' needa be strong' somehow managing to put a barrier between me and how I related to individual characters.

Still, a poignant read, on the whole as beautifully painted as any of the authors artwork.


11 comments:

Gina said...

Oh my. Yes, I can see your dilemma. The cover took me at first glance as well but the language would prove an obstacle. Glad it worked overall though!

Literary Feline said...

I find when I read a book set in the Highlands, it takes me awhile to get used to the shift in speech and language, if I do at all. I feel terrible that it bothers me--especially because I know the author is aiming for authenticity.

Kelly said...

I struggle at times with books that use language like that, especially when it's a vernacular I'm not very familiar with, even spoken. I agree the cover art is nice and I really like the back, too, so thanks for including that. I like collecting bookmarks... is the one you received anything like the cover art?

It's a great opening sentence, so I'd like to see the memorable moment as well. Did you mean to leave it out?

Sherry Ellis said...

Sometimes it's hard to get used to the jargon of characters, especially when it's not something you're used to.

Barbara said...

Hi Tracy, not for me – I would be throwing it at the wall after a couple of those sentences. Just not my kind of thing at all.

Melissa (Books and Things) said...

Yea, sometimes the language is an asset, other times it is a distraction. At least you still found yourself entertained. :)

Shooting Stars Mag said...

Thanks for sharing - I think I'd have a difficult time reading this one to be honest, with the writing style.

Brian Joseph said...

I totally agree with you about the language, It sounds completely out of place in this book. I think that I would have had more of a negative reaction then did. It likely would have ruined the book for me.

I also love the artwork. The front cover is very striking.

Aunt Mary said...

Cover is really interesting, story sounds good too but as you told language could be a problem :)

Felicity Grace Terry said...

Apologies for omitting my memorable moment. I have now rectified my mistake and added it.

Stephanie@Fairday's Blog said...

The cover is definitely striking. I can see why it drew you in and I am glad that overall it was a good read, and good to know the writing may take a while to get into. :)