5 Dec 2014

THE POLAR EXPRESS.

Yeah! Book one read for this year's Christmas Spirit Reading Challenge (The sign-up/reviews button for which can be found on the right side-bar of Pen and Paper) : Visions of Sugar Plum #1.


THE POLAR EXPRESS by CHRIS VAN ALLSBURG.

SOURCE: Won at the beginning of the year - thanks to Stephanie and Jessica over at The Secret Files of Fairday Morrow - I've been waiting for just this occasion to read and review this.

BOOK SUMMARY: Click here but be warned it concerns big spoilers.

FIRST SENTENCE: On Christmas Eve, many years ago, I lay quietly in bed.

MEMORABLE MOMENT: Though I've grown old, the bell still rings for me as it does for all who truly believe.

MY THOUGHTS: Forty plus and (almost) a newcomer to the story - I haven't even watched the film all the way through as I find the animation spooky, the characters somehow too human as to be animated and yet too animated to be convincingly human - what is there to say about The Polar Express that hasn't been said a thousand times before as generation after generation discover this seasonal treasure?

A wonderfully nostalgic novel, beautifully illustrated, that brought a tear to the eye. This particular edition (available from amazon.com but not amazon.co.uk as far as I can see) included a keepsake ornament and bonus CD read by Liam Neeson. 



8 comments:

DMS said...

Stephanie and I are so happy you loved this book! It's such a beautiful story. The bell still rings for me too! Thanks for sharing your thoughts. :)

Kelly said...

I'm glad you enjoyed this one! I must be honest and admit I don't know the story at all, having never read the book or seen the movie.

Melissa (Books and Things) said...

I haven't read or seen the book/movie but I would totally listen to Liam narrate it. Glad you enjoyed it.

Mary (Bookfan) said...

One of my favorites. I haven't watched the movie because I love the book so much. It also brings a tear or two to my eyes every time I read it.

Suko said...

Tracy, I've seen the movie but have not read the book. Congrats on reading the book. You picked a good time to read it, of course, and I'm glad you enjoyed the book. Your memorable moment is lovely.

Melliane said...

what a great idea! I saw the movie and it was fun but I'm sure the book is so much better! Mainly in this period. I'm curious.

Brian Joseph said...

I think that I would like this. I like the movie.

As for your comments on the film. I heard a story on NPR. Certain movies that have animated people, or animals that look TOO much like real people tend to be really disturbing. Something about how are minds view uncanny images.

Maria Behar said...

I have seen the movie, and enjoyed it tremendously, although at times, as you say, there was that slight 'spooky' feeling to it.

The story is lovely, and now I also want to read the book!!

Thanks for sharing!! Merry Christmas!! : )