24 May 2014

STARDUST.

STARDUST by NEIL GAIMAN.

SOURCE: Free with the Guardian newspaper.

ABOUT THE BOOK: At the dawn of the Victorian era, life moves at a leisurely pace in the tiny town of Wall. Young Tristran Thorn has lost his heart to the beautiful Victoria Forester, but Victoria is as cold and distant as the star she and Tristran see fall from the sky one evening. For the prize of Victoria's hand, Tristran vows to retrieve the star for his beloved. It is an oath that sends the lovelorn swain over the town's ancient wall and into a world that is dangerous and strange beyond imagining....

FIRST SENTENCE {Chapter One: In which we learn of the village of Wall, and of the curious thing that occurs there every nine years}: There was once a young man who wished to gain his Heart's Desire.

MEMORABLE MOMENT {Page 79}: 'What is it?'
'The usual. Cat's breath and fish-scales and moonlight on a mill-pond, melted and smithied and forged by the dwarfs. You'll be needin' it to bring your star back with you.'

MY THOUGHTS: Having watched the film before I read the book I confess that I couldn't help but compare and contrast the two (never a good thing and something I try my best to avoid doing) and admit to finding the book lacking in that for me it just didn't have the sparkle that the film did though whether or not this was because the edition of the book I read apparently contained a slightly rewritten text I'll never know.

Generally marketed as a 'fairy tale' for grown ups'. Whilst Stardust may well be suitable for most older teenagers I would advise caution to parents of younger children as the story isn't without a certain amount of sex, some of it quite explicit, and, though perhaps not as much as in some other works of fantasy fiction, it does contain some fairly gruesome and what I on occasion felt were unnecessarily graphic violent images.

That said, this is essentially the enchanting story of what after all is a magical romance with the inclusion of witches, pirates and, my favourites, seven brothers which manages to be as ethereal as it is somehow grotesque, as dark as it is humorous.


Copyright: Tracy Terry @ Pen and Paper. All original content on http://pettywitter.blogspot.co.uk/ is created by the website owner, including but not limited to text, design, code, images, photographs and videos are considered to be the Intellectual Property of the website owner, whether copyrighted or not, and are protected by DMCA Protection Services using the Digital Millennium Copyright Act Title 17 Chapter 512 (c)(3). Reproduction or re-publication of this content is prohibited without permission. In addition I would also urge that if you are reading this on any other page you contact the original blog owner/reviewer.

14 comments:

Alexia561 said...

While this wasn't my favorite Gaiman story, it's still enjoyable. I think I need to watch the movie since you enjoyed it more than the book! Sometimes the book is better, and sometimes the movie is better. I'm curious now! :)

Priscilla - The Wheelchair Mommy said...

I rarely read historical fiction but this sounds interesting. You say the movie is better (more or less ;-) ) though. Should I find a better version of the book or just watch the movie? I have a HUGE list of books to read already, lol. Thanks so much for stopping by today!

Kelly said...

Often it can be difficult for me to come back and read a book once I've seen the movie. It's only natural to make comparisons.

Coraline is the only Gaiman I've read and, while I certainly enjoyed it, I haven't felt the need to rush out and read more of his work.

Brian Joseph said...

I have not read Gaiman but I want to to. I also have not seen this film but I want to.


Too bad this one was a little disappointing. I will likely start off with a different Gaiman book. The story does sound charming and enjoyable even if it does reflect a little bit of life's darker side.

Shooting Stars Mag said...

I need to read more Gaiman in general! sometimes the movie really IS a reader's favorite adaptation.

Suko said...

I'm glad you enjoyed Stardust, Tracy. I've yet to read anything by this author!

Melliane said...

Oh I didn't know that the book was written by this author. I also saw the movie but I confess I never tried to see farther. If if something is missing in comprison with the film I think I'll pass. thanks!

Stephanie Faris said...

I've tried reading Neil Gaiman...not quite for me, but he has a lot of talent. He certainly has range, doesn't he?

Nikki - Notes of Life said...

Having only read Gaiman's outing with Terry Pratchett, I really need to get and read some more of his work.

The Bookworm said...

I read this one and enjoyed it as well. I have yet to watch the film version.

Stephanie@Fairday's Blog said...

I haven't read this one by Neil Gaiman. He is one of my co-author, Jess's, favorites. I didn't even realize there was a movie. So I think I will read the book first and then watch the movie. Overall- it sounds like a good read! Thanks for sharing!

Literary Feline said...

I wonder if it made a difference that you saw the movie first. Maybe not though. :-)

I loved the book and really liked the movie. But then, I've been enamored with everything I've read by Gaiman so far.

Heather said...

Thanks for the review. I don't recall hearing about this book. Have now added it to my reading list.

Yanting Gueh said...

I haven't read this but want to. After his 'American Gods,' perhaps.