7 Mar 2014

THE ROAD TO RECKONING.

THE ROAD TO RECKONING by ROBERT LAUTNER.

SOURCE: A GoodReads win. An uncorrected Proof copy, whilst Amazon details as always are available by clicking on the book title I have been asked not to quote directly from the book.

MY THOUGHTS: Though narrated by his adult self, the novel, set in 1930's America, is in fact the  childhood story of Thomas Walker.

A debut novel described as a 'Western-style adventure' which will 'enthral fans of Cold Mountain and True Grit'. Not having read many 'Westerns' (my main experience of the genre being the 1950's 'Cowboys and Indians' novels read by my grandfather and father in law) and never having seen either of these films I wasn't sure just what exactly to expect.

Whilst this had everything commonly associated with the 'Western' (dust, horses, camp fires, disused mines, stores that sell pretty much everything, guns - much of the story revolves around the newly invented Colt revolver) it was so, so much more.

Beautifully written. The Appalachian frontier towns with all their poverty, violence and religious fervour were wonderfully described. The details of twelve year old Thomas' journey as he travels through the open plains of America to his New York home exceptional. The Road To Reckoning is a real coming of age story with a big heart.



Copyright: Tracy Terry @ Pen and Paper. All original content on http://pettywitter.blogspot.co.uk/ is created by the website owner, including but not limited to text, design, code, images, photographs and videos are considered to be the Intellectual Property of the website owner, whether copyrighted or not, and are protected by DMCA Protection Services using the Digital Millennium Copyright Act Title 17 Chapter 512 (c)(3). Reproduction or re-publication of this content is prohibited without permission. In addition I would also urge that if you are reading this on any other page you contact the original blog owner/reviewer.

9 comments:

Kelly said...

I don't read many westerns, but do enjoy the genre in film. I may watch out for this one in the future.

True Grit (along with several others by the same author) has been on my shelf for years. Both movies are wonderful (the original with John Wayne and the more recent remake) and you really should watch them.

Suko said...

Tracy, I'm glad you enjoyed this! It sounds very touching.

Melissa (Books and Things) said...

Westerns are hit or miss with me, but I did like Cold Mountain. However, how often do these things match? :) Still, sounds like a sweet novel and one I may enjoy!

Brian Joseph said...

I think that Genre books like Westerns can work so well when they are good books in and of themselves.It sounds as if this one incorporates many of the elements that make a book good.

Cherie Reich said...

Thanks for the review! I'm glad it turned out to be such a great read.

Alexia561 said...

Not much for westerns so think I'll skip this one. Glad you enjoyed it though, and congrats on the win!

Yvonne @ Fiction Books Reviews said...

Hi Tracy,

Yours and my own experiences and memories of the 'westerns' genre, seem to be pretty much the same, as this was always the genre of book which my father would withdraw from the library, in copious quantities, together with his other favourite mystery and crime books.

I have only read one authors take on the modern day western genre and that is Meg Mims, although she tends to stick to the more romantic western mystery angle, which your featured book definitely doesn't seem to be.

I might take a punt on this one at some point, for the descriptive writing about the region, if nothing else, although I think that the Amazon cover image is also amazing.

Thanks for featuring an interesting take on an often overlooked genre.

Enjoy the lovely day of spring weather ahead.

Yvonne

Stephanie@Fairday's Blog said...

What a wonderful win! I love when books turn out to be better than we expect. The writing sounds so good and the story sounds touching. Thanks for sharing!

Shooting Stars Mag said...

I don't think a Western would be a good fit for me, but I'm glad it was a bit more than that and enjoyable for you.