22 Jan 2013

A BLOGGER WITH A MISSION - I URGE YOU TO READ THIS AND CONSIDER REPOSTING IT.

Never before has the blogosphere caused me to feel so angry and upset, so outraged and powerless ....... I can only imagine how Naida, a good blogger buddy of mine, must have felt when she discovered that someone had been stealing not only her blog posts, but her reviews, her memes and, worst of all,  her personal images and passing them off as their own as far back as 2010.

Not naive enough that I didn't realise that copyright theft went on I didn't however realise that anyone could be so blatant as to basically replicate someones posts like this in what Naida explains is known as SCRAPING.

So, how can we even begin to predict our blogs which after all, for many of us, are a labour of love.

Naida suggests the following steps you might like to take, the following sites you might like to visit......


  • Add a disclaimer to the end of your blog posts. I've seen several bloggers (Naida for one) now include something along the lines of this .... Disclaimer:Removal of any part of this post without my express consent is considered copyright infringement. This post was created by and for (add your blog title here). If you are reading this post on any other site please contact the original blog owner/reviewer.

  • Consider installing a script so there is no right click or text hi-lighting. (Advice available from Nadia HERE OR I'm reliably informed that if you use the Blogger platform you can disable text selection from your blog by manually installing the following Javascript from BLOGGER TIPS AND TRICKS though as I haven't as yet tried this myself I cannot confirm. PW) 
  • Report Scraper pages to Google - more information HERE.
  • If you are on blogger:

  1. Sign up for GOOGLE WEBMASTER TOOLS. It's a free service that will show in detail who is linking to your blog and where your blog traffic is coming from.
  2. Sign up for GOOGLE ALERTS. Enter some key words from your blog posts, maybe your disclaimer at the end of your postor enter your blog title post. Google will let you know if this key phrase is being used elsewhere.


21 comments:

Alexia561 said...

This is appalling! Poor Naida! I've never heard of scraping before, and it's scary what people will do out there. Thanks for the info, as I'm going to update my Google alerts and visit the recommended sites. Totally outrageous!

chitra said...

PW,
thanks a lot.
I need to be careful now and check first with key words.There are so many photographs I have in my posts , a result of real hard work. must be alert now.

Amrit said...

That is really really sad. It makes me very upset when I hear these stories. People blog to show own creativity. What is the point of copying someone else?

Heather said...

I have heard of this happening, but didn't know how to protect myself. Thanks.

I have given permission to be quoted before and for one blogger to translate a recipe to her language, but requested that she put a link back to my blog, which she did. I will be checking out this information, thanks,

Kimberly @ Midnight Book Girl said...

This is awful. I've never heard of scraping before and I find it a little scary, especially since it's not just content, but personal pictures. I wish this all this nonsense would just stop!

Jean said...

I really don't understand why someone would do this - what would the benefit be to them? Ok, maybe I'm only thinking of what's on my own blog - there are certainly others which have content others might wish to copy.

Melissa (Books and Things) said...

Yes, this is a problem nowdays. So sad, right?

NRIGirl said...

Thank you Tracey! This is very helpful; I had never thought of such a possibility.

Appreciate your explanation on lard too.

The Bookworm said...

Thanks for spreading the word Tracy, it's good to inform other bloggers so they might at least be able to take steps to protect their blogs. I'm over the initial shock of it, but it's surely been an eye opener.
I love book blogging too much to let spammers stop me anyway. Now I'll just be more careful.

StarTraci said...

Aack! This is sad and disturbing. I am going to start being way more vigilant about this! Thanks for opening my eyes!

Suko said...

Thanks for posting this information! I'd never heard of blog scraping before learning about it on Naida's blog.

Jenners said...

Oh no … I know Naida. I read her blog. In fact, she comes up in my reader after your blog. I can't believe this. How awful. I need to look into this. For all I know, it is happening to me as well.

anilkurup59 said...

Villainy has no bounds and no face too. Thanks for bringing this out let me try your suggestions. It is pathetic of some.

Yanting Gueh said...

Oh dear, sorry to hear about this. Hope your blogger friend feels better soon. (Why does anyone blog others' posts and pass them off as their own thoughts if Blogging is about self-expression?)

Betty Manousos said...

how awful!
this is so sad...i can't believe this!
thanks for bringing this out.

xx

Yvonne @ Fiction Books Reviews said...

Hi Tracy,

It's a good job that I have Mr.G to take care of all my techie stuff for me, as I had no idea what 'scraping' was, although he knew all about it as soon as I mentioned it to him.

I guess that is one of the reasons why he set me up a 'wordpress' site of my own, rather than a 'google blog', but I would have no idea how to keep it safe and up to date, if it weren't for him!!

I hope that Naida gets some joy from Google, now that she has reported the matter, although I probably wouldn't hold my breath!

Yvonne

Bookingly Yours said...

Thanks for the information Tracy! Even pictures??? Really? @#*&%$#$! Just last year I posted pictures of my kids because of my product review for a scrapbook. Those were the only pictures I posted in my 5 years of blogging. Should I be worried?

You know I found sites where some of my FULL reviews are posted in other blogs. I don't really see any problem with it because they LINK my blog through their site/the book review. Now with this information, I am not so sure. You got me thinking. Why would they do it??
I should start on doing this soon.

Stephanie@Fairday's Blog said...

Thanks so much for all of this helpful information. I am shocked that someone would steal everything from someone else's blog- but I guess people do crazy things. I am sorry for Naida!

Melissa (My World...in words and pages) said...

Thanks a great deal for this post! I'm going to have to look into a few of these sites you mentioned as I've never known what to do to protect my posts. Thank you!!

ashok said...

Thanks for the eye opening post Tracy.I never thought someone will go this far. I need to be careful. Very useful post.

So many books, so little time said...

Thanks hon, I think I may add something on to mine. Don't understand why anyone would want to steal everyones stuff and pretend it was theirs.

Lainy http://www.alwaysreading.net