If I were to mention book burning to you would you straight away think of ......
- The Chinese Philosophy books burnt on the orders of the Emperor Qin Shi Huang in 213 BC
- The Torah Scroll burnt by an unknown Roman soldier in the year 50
- The burning of the entire library of Antioch by the Christian emperor Jovian in 364
- The Buddhist writings that were either burnt or otherwise destroyed following the conversion of the Maldives to Islam in 1153
- The 'Obscene' poetry burnt in 1584 by Pasquale Vassallo, a Maltese Dominican Friar
- The many, many books burnt in Cromwell's England between 1640 and 1660
What the media have to say ......