6 Jun 2012

ONE DAY.

ONE DAY by DAVID NICHOLLS.


15th July 1988. Emma and Dexter meet on the night of their graduation. Tomorrow they must go their separate ways.


So where will they be on this one day next year? And the year after that?


And every year that follows.
........ Outer back cover.


FIRST SENTENCE (Chapter 1): 'I suppose the important thing is to make some sort of difference' she said.


MEMORABLE MOMENT (Page 312): The most idiotic, witless word in the English language is 'singleton', followed closely by 'chocoholic', and she refuses to be part of any Sunday supplement lifestyle phenomenon.

MY THOUGHTS: Alas I'd heard less about the book than the film but given that the film was by all accounts very good and books are generally better than the film surely this would be an excellent read.


On starting to read One Day I was worried it was going to be too similar to Starter For Ten (set in the 1980's, students, universities, a would they/wouldn't they romance) which we had read at my other readers group way back in November (you can see my review HERE) but thankfully this turned out not to be the case.


A unique, tender love story that chronicles the lives of two young people (and occasionally their family and friends) over the course of every July the 15th for 20 years, this is a book that once again had me reading until silly o'clock.


Feeling like the main characters (Emma and Dexter/'Dex') were really good friends of mine, I went through a range of emotions with them AND I wouldn't care but Dex wasn't even a particularly nice person but then isn't it these flaws that make the characters so believable?


Wonderfully well written, I've said it before and I think I may well say it again, it isn't so much the plot that makes these books by David Nicholls so compulsive, its the characters. 


KEEP IT OR NOT?: A reading group read, I'd rather like a copy of this for the shelves.




15 comments:

Mary (Bookfan) said...

Reviews were all over the board on this one so I'm glad to see you enjoyed it.

The Bookworm said...

Sounds great, glad you enjoyed it. I like when a book keeps me reading late into the night.

Patti said...

I read this book a couple of years ago and just loved it even with all of Dex's flaws.

Betty Manousos said...

i tend to read a book late in the night, especially during the weekend.


great read! glad you enjoyed it.

popped in to say hi!

xx

Gina said...

Thanks for the review on this one! I had heard of the movie (was only semi-interested, haven't seen it yet) and seen the book in store, but just hadn't made up my mind. Sounds like it has potential and its good that the connection between the characters and you was there....makes the journey more enjoyable. Happy reading!

ashok said...

good review...

Suko said...

Wonderful review, of what sounds like a wonderful book (due to wonderful characters)!

Melissa (Books and Things) said...

I love a good character driven book. Oh I'm glad you enjoyed this one. I admit, I would have passed it by.

Kelly said...

This reminds me of the play/film "Same Time Next Year". It sounds quite enjoyable.

Golden Eagle said...

This sounds like a really good book. I've never heard of it before, so I'll have to put it on my TBR list!

Shooting Stars Mag said...

I really love character-focused books, so this sounds great. I've been interested in reading it for awhile now. I've seen most of Starter for Ten, and LOVED it, so I've always wanted to read the actual book too. Alas, one day...

-lauren

DMS said...

This is the first time I have heard of this one- but based on your review I want to read it! I love when I feel like the characters are my friends- especially when they have flaws. I will be looking for this one!

~Jess

Jenners said...

This was a wonderful read, wasn't it? I got caught up in reading it until too late as well.

Yanting Gueh said...

A girlfriend told me how wonderful the film version was, and I thought I'd read the story instead (cos it often seems stories sound better on paper than on screen). Your review has made me want to read this even more. And perhaps I could share this with an ex-student who was asking me if I had any books to suggest to her. Thanks!

Joan said...

Another great review, I loved this book ,, surprised that a few hadn,t even heard of it , waiting for the film to come out on sky