16 May 2012

THE LAST VICTIM.

In my younger days I went through a period of reading lots of non-fiction true crime books. Not in order to pick up tips on how to murder him as Husband dearest thought (as if I'd admit to that here) BUT because I had a morbid fascination with what made man commit these crimes. 


Anyway, I was recently delighted to be contacted by Chris Rudy, an ex-law enforcement officer of 30+ years who, along with journalist, George Davies, had written a book, The Last Victim, which he'd like me to review.


Only to happy to oblige, here's my thoughts on that very book.

THE LAST VICTIM by CHRISTOPHER RUDY with GEORGE DAVIS


Authors Chris Rudy and George Davis tell the story of a man they believe is one of the – if not the most – dangerous criminals in Northeast Ohio history in “The Last Victim”. Rudy and Davis believe that the crime of rape causes as much devastation as any knife or gun.


The authors tell the story of William Edward Griffith Jr. whose criminal acts of voyeurism and rape spanned three decades and six states. He essentially reached the pinnacle as a serial rapist extraordinaire before coming across Melissa Brown, who became his last victim.
......... Press release, to read the full article click HERE.


FIRST SENTENCE (Chapter 1): Despicable!


MEMORABLE MOMENT (Page 59): He used his fingerprint dusting kit like Da Vinci used his paints, brushing the dark contrasting powder with even, fluid strokes. Bob intently paid attention to detail, deep in concentration all the while he watched and waited for a pattern to rise up from the color and shapes of his work, like Da Vinci with his canvas.


MY THOUGHTS: If this was a crime novel I'd have to say that it wasn't graphic enough for my liking.


BUT it isn't a novel, these events actually occurred, and as such the fact that it wasn't over-sensationalised somehow makes it even more chilling, the fact that it is so stark making it all the more harrowing.


The story of the case that brought notorious serial voyeur and rapist William Griffith Jr to justice, The Last Victim isn't always comfortable reading but it does offer an intriguing insight into the world of law enforcement, the judicial system and forensics that makes for interesting and informative reading.


Perhaps let down a little bit by the writing that at times read like an essay, I nevertheless found this a very readable account of one man's determination to catch a criminal whose crimes spanned three decades.
DISCLAIMER: Read and reviewed on behalf of the author, Chris Rudy,  I was merely asked for my honest opinion, no financial compensation was asked for nor given.  








An author interview with Chris Rudy. Please feel free to leave any questions.








10 comments:

anilkurup59 said...

Honestly I feel at loss for words , in fact wonder struck at the pace with which you devour books and now review. I did mention this once before here.

Heather said...

This is one genre which I can't read. I can read fictional stories such as this, but not real ones. They confound me and at the same time make me angry that people could do such gruesome things to their fellow man. My daughter would devour these books if I let her. She wants to be a psychiatrist and work with criminals to see what makes them tick.

Tomz said...

Nice to know that u r becoming a professional reviwer..waiting fr ur interview

Kelly said...

This one sounds chilling...both because it's true and due to the type of crime. It's a subject that doesn't appear often in the murder mysteries I read (thank goodness!).

I look forward to the interview.

carol said...

I tend to avoid true crime. Fictin is one thing, but I don't really want to think about such horrible things happening in real life.

Golden Eagle said...

It sounds like an interesting book. I look forward to your interview!

Melissa (Books and Things) said...

If it was based on reality, I'd be glad it wasn't too graphic. *shivers* I can see how hard this one would be to read and yet would be compelling as well.

DMS said...

I actually remember hearing about this case and your review has me intrigued. I do like crime novels- and this is a bit different, but it sounds good. Something to think about!
~Jess

Betty Manousos said...

yet another brilliant review, tracy.

sounds like a good book.
i have a tendency to avoid real crime though, but your review has me intrigued.

look forward to your interview!

xx

Bookingly Yours said...

hey Tracey, nice review. i like to read true crime, might pick this up sometime. ;)