28 Jun 2011

KITTY GOES TO WASHINGTON.

KITTY GOES TO WASHINGTON by CARRIE VAUGHN.

The country's only celebrity werewolf, late-night radio host Kitty Norville prefers to be heard, not seen. But when she's invited to testify at a Senate hearing on behalf of supernaturals, her face gets plastered on national TV. Kitty's been in hot water before, but jumping into the D.C. underworld brings a new set of problems. And a new set of friends and enemies, including the vampire mistress of the city; an uber-hot Brazilian were-jaguar; and a paranoid, Bible-thumping senator who wants to expose Kitty as a monster. Kitty quickly learns that in this city of dirty politicians nd backstabbing pundits, everyone's itching for a fight.
...... Outer back cover.

FIRST SENTENCE: (Chapter 1): "We have Beth from Tampa on the line. Hello."

MEMORABLE MOMENT (Page 290): Those words had been spoken by every woman who'd ever been screwed over by a boyfriend. Immortality didn't change some things, apparently.

KEEP IT OR NOT?: Much as I enjoyed this I will be passing in on to a friend who is a huge fan of this genre.

Hmm, not too sure what I was expecting looking at the front of this cover (not too mention the blurb on the back which boldly stated 'werewolves do it better'), perhaps something a bit risque but certainly not this enjoyable supernatural read.

The second book in the Kitty Norville series, I was able to enjoy this as a stand alone read BUT found myself intrigued by some of the references to characters (just who was T.J.?) and events in book 1 - Kitty And The Midnight Hour.

A bit of a slow starter, it wasn't until page 150 or so that anything much really happened but once it did I was totally and completely gripped, Kitty is a novel that is not without thrills and spills but concentrates more on the psychological.

Quite topical in a way, Kitty Goes To Washington obviously looks at the plight of the supernatural 'community' but deals with issues that are not unheard of in many of our communities today.

Full of wonderful characters who proved that there is good and bad amongst all groups, I was totally intrigued and horrified by Elijah Smith, a self-styled faith healer who believed that .....

I don't want to include any spoilers but I will say he put me in mind of the preachers who believe faith is able to cure people of their 'undesirable' conditions - conditions such as homosexuality.

Very exciting and with lots of surprises in store, this is a wonderful read that is quite different from any other werewolf/vampire novel (yes, it has them both)I have read and it is well worth persevering past the first 100 pages.

An ex-library stock read, this is the 51st book read for my 100+ Reading Challenge.


12 comments:

Mary (Bookfan) said...

I confess I've not read a 'werewolf book' but your review tempts me to try this series - maybe the first book. I'm surprised the second book didn't get going until p.150 or so. Sounds like you're glad you stuck with it.

Misha said...

A different kind of vampire/werewolf novel is tempting since all of the books in this genre seem to be so similar nowadays. However, I don't think I have the patience to wait till 150 pages for things to start happening.

Arti said...

Even I have not read a single warewolf/vampire book till now, the idea just does not fascinate me!! But this looks good by what you say, might just try this one...
Have a wonderful week ahead Tracy :)

serendipity_viv said...

I keep hearing about this series at the moment. It seems to be very popular. I will look out for it.

My Gallery of Worlds said...

This one is right up my alley. Sounds like a fun read :D

Betty Manousos said...

werewolf and vampire books seem to be everywhere and a trend nowadays.

it's one of my favourite types of book.

i think i'm going to get that one.

i thoroughly enjoyed your review! :)

big hugs!
betty xx

Kelly said...

Wow! Who knew there were so many of this type book out there!? They're really popular now!

Monalisa said...

I've never read a vampire story in book rather then watch them on TV. This really sounds very interesting .

Patti said...

I haven't read a werebook either, sounds like starting with the first one would be a good idea.

Suko said...

This does sound exceptional. Wonderful review, Petty!

Melissa (Books and Things) said...

Oh I love this series. You do need to start with the first book. It explains a lot! That information is important to see how much Kitty has grown! I love characters that grow!

Melissa (My World...in words and pages) said...

Oh this is one series I have not got yet, but do think I would like to read. :) Thank you for the review of this book in the series. :)